A Quick Word

Thank you for taking time to visit my blog! For more info about this blog, you may check out the Content tab. For all re-posts and other articles that caught my eye, you'll find them in Echoes. My own literary pieces are in Anthology; tips, trivia and info are in Blabs; anything about movies in Flicks; food-related stuff in Gastronomy; my journey to getting hitched in I Do;places, trips and activities are in Jaunts; anything about books in Lit; and short posts in Snips. Lastly, you'll find my contact details in Say Hi.

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Oh Sugar, You Are Not So Sweet!

 
When is a food a food? And when is it poison?
 
The sweetest poison.
(Image from Ecosalon)
Dr. William Coda Martin, in 1957, tried providing answers to these questions by defining what ‘poison’ is:

"Medically: Any substance applied to the body, ingested or developed within the body, which causes or may cause disease. Physically: Any substance which inhibits the activity of a catalyst which is a minor substance, chemical or enzyme that activates a reaction."



Look at that trash!
Given this definition, Dr. Martin classified refined sugar as poison since it doesn’t contain any vitamins or minerals to support life; rather, it drains the body of precious vitamins and minerals spent through its digestion, detoxification and elimination. Moreover, constant piling up of sugar adds extra carbs (and inches) over time too! There are more dangers to sugar (does diabetes ring a bell?) we can’t even begin to imagine, but I guess the threat of having unwanted calories will do, it’s one big red flag all by itself!

As most processed foods and drinks contain refined sugar, you owe yourself the responsibility of being aware of their sugar content. I suggest you go to Sugarstacks.com  and see for yourself how much sugar there is -- represented by stacks of sugar cubes -- in some of the most common foods and beverages.

Resources:

4 comments:

  1. gives me second thoughts about the free sodas to work! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Told you so! Even fruit juices have lots of sugar. So now I'm OC na with all the food labels hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I am an avid fan and drinker of Coca-Cola so I'll ignore this blog post. haha. But seriously, I know it is bad but I can't help it. I don't wanna die not being able to drink Coca-Cola to my heart's content. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know right! Refined sugar is here to stay anyway, you're right the key is to enjoy life while it lasts. :-)

    ReplyDelete