A Quick Word

Thank you for taking time to visit my blog! For more info about this blog, you may check out the Content tab. For all re-posts and other articles that caught my eye, you'll find them in Echoes. My own literary pieces are in Anthology; tips, trivia and info are in Blabs; anything about movies in Flicks; food-related stuff in Gastronomy; my journey to getting hitched in I Do;places, trips and activities are in Jaunts; anything about books in Lit; and short posts in Snips. Lastly, you'll find my contact details in Say Hi.

Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Maquech Brooch: A Living Jewelry

"And the Lord God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it." Genesis 2:15


Image owned by University of Colorado Museum
of Natural History

The Maquech brooch aka beetle brooch aka living brooch is an adornment made of a live beetle emblazoned with gems and gold trimmings. It's then worn over clothing as a form of jewelry by the Mayans who started this centuries-old tradition.

What compelled me to blog about this was when I heard that this is still being practiced by people (I think in Mexico), and is currently a "hot" accessory. In my opinion, this is such a cruel thing to do. Accessories are fun and exciting I suppose, but using living creatures as one is a completely different thing. Men are supposed to be stewards of God's creation, not sadistic barbarians who take pride in using these poor creatures as a means to enhance themselves.

4 comments:

  1. The beetle isn't being hurt. Also, this is no different from a dog that is dressed up in stupid clothing. The beetle isn't being hurt and is not suffering under the weight of the jewels. It's the same as having a dog on a leash with a silly outfit on. The only difference is that beetles are (in my opinion) a lot uglier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! Thank you for your inputs. Yes, in a way I have to agree with you on that. It's just that for me, the only viable reason I could think about why people wear them, is to put them on display.

      Delete
  2. I think it is very different to a dog on a lead in a stupid outfit!
    The beetle may not be suffering under the weight but it is still suffering. I have read that they can live for 3/4 years if taken care of properly and I am sure the people who buy them will do no such thing!
    People love their dogs and take care of them yes they may be in a stupid outfit but they will be getting plenty of food and water unlike the beetle.
    As and ancient Mayan tradition I can just about handle it but as a fashion statement never!

    ReplyDelete